What to Pack: 15 Airplane Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers
The thought of taking toddlers and pre-schoolers on long flights can be daunting. But entertaining toddlers on a plane doesn’t have to be!
you probably think i am crazy.
Yes it will be tough, NO you probably will not get much reading done, and don’t even think of trying to enjoy a movie, but you WILL survive.
And so will the 200 other people on the plane!
I have listed 15 of my favourite airplane activities for toddlers and preschoolers that we pack for my kids (who were two and four and are now almost three and five). These items are also great for car trips, train trips, bus trips and just about any other time you need to keep kids sitting (relatively) still and quiet!
Our Favourite Airplane Activities for Toddlers and Preschoolers.
1. My kids are loving the .io games from Poki on our laptop right now! With more and more airlines and airports (as well as busses and other modes of transport) having wi-fi, these are a great new addition to our travel arsenal. You can find other categories of games on their website here.
Be Careful, these can be messy, but if you keep the beads in a ziplock or ask a flight attendant for an extra cup and let your toddler string them on one at a time, they will be thrilled with the bracelet that they have made when it is done!
3. Wikki Stix
There are so many ways to entertain toddlers on a plane, it just takes some thinking. I have only been able to find these on Amazon, but they are great for the creative kid and much less messy than play dough. They can create 3D characters or shapes or letters! (These also came in our “AllPakt” backpack. you can read about all of the other contents here)
I have a puzzle fanatic at my house, so I always hit up the dollar store and grab a few new puzzles for our flights with toddlers and preschoolers. But check to make sure that the are not too big and will fit on the tray table before your flight! (Yup i have made that mistake too!)
are great for toddlers. I often let them stick them all over themselves, or me, or a coloring book.
Keep and eye out for the triangle shaped crayons so they don’t roll off the table. After you bonk your head for the 5th time trying to retrieve them you will wish you had these!
My Preschooler is just learning letters and loves using every single page of a post it note to practice his letters. They are also fun to stick all over everything for toddlers and are easy to clean up
I usually grab a pack of plastic animals or figures before our trup and wrap it up. Whether it be farm animals, dinsaurs or bugs, it is something new and fun for the kids to use their imagination.
YES we pack the technology! A mum has gotta go what a mum has gotta do! I load up our old iphones with movies that the kids are into and that gives me a break on a long flight.
that fit small heads. We made this mistake on our last trip and bought what looked like kids headphones. They ended up being way to big. Now we look for headphones designed specifically for toddlers. The ones made for LeapFrog LeapPads have been perfect!
11. A package of Band-Aids. Lets face it, kids LOVE them! And will love playing doctor and fixing your owies!
12. If you have toddler’s who cant quite be trusted to keep the markers off the tray tables, try the Crayola Color Wonder Invisible Markers and Pads that only produce color on the paper. Means no marks are left on the tray tables!
13. Kids love wrapping up and giving gifts, bring some tissue paper and let them wrap up some small items and check out the thrill on your face when you open them up!
14. Don’t forget their special blanket or stuffy to keep them feeling safe. It also adds an extra person to take care of. My 4 year old Mattias loves role playing and being ”Bunny’s Daddy”
15. We love the Travel Passports from Tava Adventures. The Passport comes with 10 4×6 travel cards hi lighting your chosen destination in a kid-friendly way! We have the London and the Seattle ones and hope to collect more as we travel to new places!
Is your bag full yet?
Don’t forget the snacks when you pack for your kids activities on an airplane. You can read our list of snacks to pack for your next trip here. And if collecting all of these things seems like entirely too much work, consider an All Pakt, (click to read our review and why we still use it today!)
Are you headed on a long-haul flight soon? Check out the Savvy Globetrotter’s Post on What to Pack for a Long Flight
Sidenote: Once you have packed up all of these items, check out Scary mommy for her hilarious take on what your flight will look like here!
Did I forget something you love to take on a flight with your children? let me know in the comments!If you found this page helpful, i would love it if you would pin, share or tweet it on whatever social media platforms you use! Every little bit will help us fund our travels and continue to bring great content to our site!
You can hover over this pinnable image of Airplane Activities for Toddlers (or any image on my site) to quickly pin it !
Editors Disclosure: this page contains affiliate links. If you click on a link and make a purchase from Amazon, we receive a small commission, at NO EXTRA Cost to you! Please consider using our links when making a purchase to help us travel longer and continue to bring great content to this site